Best portable saunas of 2022
Published Jun 7, 2022 2: 00 PM
Portable saunas can provide all the health benefits of their larger counterparts. These benefits include stress relief and muscle recovery, better circulation, detoxification, and detoxification. Once relegated to the realm of gyms and spas, saunas have exploded in popularity as medical studies demonstrated that they can relieve pain and promote relaxation. You can now bring the relaxing experience of a sauna to your home with smaller products from brands. Even if you don’t get a high-end model, portable saunas can be more affordable than traditional saunas. Our favorite at-home saunas are comfortable to sit (or lay) in and easy to set up and break down. There are many styles to choose from, including full-body saunas, sauna bags, and sit-in steam saunas. This list of portable saunas for healing and wellness will help you to choose the right one for your home.
- Best overall: SaunaSpace Luminati Portable Infrared Sauna
- Best sauna kit: SereneLife Full Portable Sauna
- Best infrared: Radiant Saunas Harmony Deluxe Oversized Portable Sauna
- Best for home: Clearlight Curve Sauna Dome
- Best small: HigherDose Infrared Sauna Blanket
- Best budget: Durasage Oversized Portable Steam Sauna
How we chose the best portable saunas
Portable saunas are available in a variety of styles. We wanted to reflect that diversity while also keeping costs and durability in mind. We compared dozens of portable sauna options and narrowed our selection to those that were the best quality within the price range. We wanted to make sure that the budget option included a warranty in the event of any component failures.
When choosing the best portable saunas, it is important to consider the materials and power output. This will ensure that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on your electricity. We also considered how attractive the portable sauna would look in your home.
We scoured reviews from multiple sites during our review process. We cross-referenced reviews from multiple retailers and sites once we had made a decision. This was to ensure that the product had received dozens of user reviews.
Things to consider before buying one of the best portable saunas
Type of heat
Portable saunas are available in three versions:
- Dry saunas are the most traditional and use heating panels to warm the air without increasing the humidity. These saunas can reach higher temperatures than steam saunas
- Infrared saunas use infrared lighting panels to heat your body in an effort to aid muscle recovery. They don’t heat as much as traditional dry saunas because they use light instead of heating the air. This means that you can spend more time in them. They are a great alternative for sauna users who don’t like the high temperatures of dry saunas or the humidity of steam saunas.
- Steam saunas use–you guessed it–steam to warm the air and allow you to work up quite a sweat. Steam saunas heat your space with water, unlike dry saunas. Although they take longer to heat up, they provide a classic experience similar to Finnish saunas.
You can choose from portable saunas that cover your entire body, or smaller ones that allow you to sit down from the neck. If space is not an issue and you don’t feel claustrophobic, you might consider a personal sauna for your entire body. For those who like to multitask, the neck-down, collapsible spas are a great option. A reclined sauna or blanket might be the best option for you if you suffer from chronic pain and are unable to sit upright for long periods.
Size and weight
Consider where and how often your sauna will be used. Larger saunas will be more comfortable for taller or heavier users. However, smaller saunas are more practical for saving space. A foldable sauna can be a better option if you plan on removing it after each use. Some portable saunas are more complicated and can be left up for longer periods of times.
Best portable saunas: Reviews & Recommendations
Best overall: SaunaSpace Luminati Portable Infrared Sauna
Why it made the cut: This minimalist sauna is beautifully designed and made from high-quality materials. It creates a pleasant atmosphere.
- Dimensions: 52″ x 52″ x 63″
- Weight: 50.3 pounds
- Materials: North American basswood, bamboo, stainless steel, and canvas
- Aesthetic design so you don’t need to break down after each use
- Walk-in style provides a full-body experience
- High-quality, durable materials that are backed by a 10-year warranty
- Heavy and may take two people to set up
- The high price tag might be a deterrent for some buyers
The sauna experience is all about the atmosphere. This includes the absence of visual distractions, and the untreated wood smell. This portable, full-body sauna lets you relax in a tranquil environment. The wooden components of the stool and base bring together elements of a traditional sauna without the need for heavy installation or weight. SaunaSpace uses advanced technology to reduce EMF exposure. (While some people may prefer to limit their exposure to EMFs, no research exists to support that low levels of exposure are harmful.)
This sauna is a step above the rest. You can match the sauna kit with your existing wall color or room decor by choosing from a variety of colors, including indigo, stone and hand-dyed yellow turmeric. Although it is more expensive than most portable saunas, it is a beautiful, well-crafted addition to a home and comes with a 10-year warranty. If after the 100-day trial period you’re not satisfied, you can return it for a full refund.
Best sauna kit: SereneLife Full Portable Sauna
Why it made it: This sauna is tall enough to allow most adults to stand in and creates a more relaxing home sauna experience than other models.
- Dimensions: 35.4″ x 35.4″ x 70.9″
- Weight: 37 pounds
- Materials: Cloth, plastic
- Full-size design allows you to reap full-body benefits
- Heats up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Packable design lets you stow away when not in use
- Set-up instructions can be confusing
- Taller people may not be able to fully stand inside
The SereneLife is the best portable sauna kit at this price. It is the only full-sized sauna that can be transported in a fully portable format. Most portable saunas require that you stick your neck and head out of the hole at the top. The SereneLife is completely enclosed to allow you to enjoy the infrared benefits for your neck, face, and head. It includes a folding chair that you can use to sit comfortably inside, and a heating pad for the feet.
After you set up this sauna for the home, just set your desired temperature and timer up to 60 minutes on the remote. It takes a while to heat up, but once it gets going, it can reach temps around 140 degrees Fahrenheit, mimicking your favorite gym sauna. This model is available in both steam and infrared versions, depending on what type of heat you prefer.
Best infrared: Radiant Saunas Harmony Deluxe Oversized Portable Sauna
Why it made the cut: It’s energy-efficient, spacious enough for people up to 6’5″, and portable enough to use for car travel.
- Dimensions: 32″ x 33″ x 41″
- Weight: 24 pounds
- Materials: Polyester and beech
- Roomy for a sit-in design sauna
- Incredibly energy efficient
- All the components feel high quality and are backed by a 1-year warranty
- Pricier than similar products
- Maximum timer length is 30 minutes
Although they may look a little odd,
Tent portable saunas are great for those who have limited space or want a lighter option. The home sauna features a sturdy frame for easy access, interior zippers for your hands, and pockets for your phone or remote control. Using the remote, you can control the temperature for both the sauna and foot pad, and set the low-EMF carbon fiber heating panels up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
The set-up and breakdown takes less than 30 seconds. The carrying handle makes it easy to transport so you can relax wherever you are. The quilted polyester fabric is more durable than tent-style saunas and is also more attractive than the tent-style ones. The sauna kit includes two soft neck collars and a padded mat to absorb sweat. Despite the sauna being more expensive than the others, the carbon heating panels are very efficient and will help you save money on your electricity bills.
Best for home: Clearlight Curve Sauna Dome
Why it made the cut: Achieve full relaxation mode in this personal lay-down sauna.
- Dimensions: 69″ x 28″ x 18″
- Weight: 80 pounds
- Materials: Organic hemp cloth, wood, memory foam
- Memory foam pad is super plush and comfy
- Low-EMF infrared heat
- Comfortable, reclined design is great for users who can’t sit for long periods
- Not as portable and space-efficient as others on this list
- Very heavy
Not everyone has the time, space or money to install a sauna. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to compromise on quality. The Curve Sauna Dome offers a high-quality experience, without the hassle and expense of a permanent home sauna. This indoor sauna is one our most popular options. It features a memory foam infrared heat pad and multiple heat levels. Set the timer and then relax. For easy storage, slide the domes together once you’re done.
The model uses far infrared light which is well-known for its wellness benefits, including increased circulation and immune system stimulation. You can also buy with confidence knowing that your purchase is covered by a lifetime warranty. This sauna is more expensive than other saunas on the list. It’s also heavier and less space-efficient.
Best small: HigherDose Infrared Sauna Blanket
Why it made the cut: Just about everything is better in bed and sauna sessions are no exception.
- Dimensions: 71″ x 71″
- Weight: TK pounds
- Materials: Waterproof Polyurethane fireproof cotton
- Short pre-heat time of 10 minutes
- Non-toxic materials
- Fully adjustable with a handheld controller
- Maximum interior circumference of 65 inches may be too small for some users
- Requires more frequent cleaning
If the idea of being stuck in a pop-up structure with only your head exposed is making you heebie-jeebies then the HigherDose Sauna Blanket might be the answer. The sauna bag is lightweight and portable, but it offers all the same benefits as a portable sauna. It can be used on any heat-resistant surface, such as a yoga mat or bed. You have the option of using HigherDose’s towel insert or layering with clothing. However, you can expect to sweat a lot, so the manual emphasizes the importance of preventing any skin-to-mat action.
This product is very thoughtfully designed. The heat is balanced by clay and charcoal layers underneath the infrared panels. This model is the easiest to store of all the models. This can be very useful if you have limited space. It is also one of the easiest models to travel with.
Best budget: Durasage Oversized Portable Steam Sauna
Why it made the cut: This affordable steam sauna leaves room in your budget for actually traveling.
- Dimensions: 31.5″ x 33″ x 41″
- Weight: 15.8 pounds
- Materials: Polyester and PVC tubing
- Two large pockets on the front can fit a tablet or book
- Great price
- 1.5-year warranty
- Chair is flimsy and can only support up to 20 lbs
- Clumsy frame design makes it hard to get in and out
This portable, sitting-in steam sauna is perfect for those who don’t want to invest in a sauna at home or just want to try it out. This sauna kit includes a pop-up sauna tent as well as a foldable chair. You may also want to replace the chair with a more sturdy one. It will get hot so make sure you don’t use it for any other purposes. The sauna’s dual pockets can be used to store a book or ereader, and the hand slots are easy to zip.
We love the affordable price, but the best thing about this portable sauna is the ability to add scents such as oils or herbs to the plastic container at the steam generator’s side. You can enhance your experience with the scents of jasmine or lavender, which is impossible to do with an infrared sauna.
Q: How much do portable saunas cost?
Portable saunas cost between $100 and $3000 dollars depending on the style, brand, and quality. If you want a reliable personal sauna, you should expect to spend at least $300, although you can find lower-quality options for cheaper.
Q: What are the health benefits of a portable sauna?
Portable saunas are known for their health and wellness benefits including relaxation, improved circulation, pain relief, and reduced risk of disease, including hypertension. Although research on sauna benefits was scarce, many studies over the past five years have shown that sauna bathing has numerous health and wellness benefits.
Q: How long do portable saunas last?
The lifespan of a portable sauna can vary widely. It all depends on the quality of your purchase. Although you can find a lot of affordable options online, they may last less than high-quality home saunas. Some portable saunas, such as the Curve Sauna Dome come with a lifetime guarantee.
Final thoughts on the best portable saunas
The SaunaSpace Luminati portable sauna is a great option for those who have the space and can afford it. The ThermaLight technology lets you enjoy infrared heat without the additional risk of EMFs. The organic canvas and bamboo components can be left in your home and are minimalistic yet elegant enough to be used.
The author of 5 books, 3 of which are New York Times bestsellers. I’ve been published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines and am a frequent commentator on NPR.