Japan Establishes Garrison on Ishigaki Island, Okinawa Prefecture
On Thursday, Japan’s Defense Ministry confirmed that up to 570 Ground Self-Defense Force members will be stationed at the recently established garrison on Ishigaki island in Okinawa prefecture. Of these, some personnel will be assigned to land-to-ship and land-to-air missile units.
The islands of Okinawa form a band stretching from Kyushu, Japan’s southernmost main island, to Taiwan in the East China Sea. Ishigaki is located 200 kilometres south of the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands, an uninhabited island chain also claimed by China and Taiwan. This area has become one of the key points of focus for increasing tensions in the region.
The personnel will be armed with Type-12 surface-to-ship guided missiles and Type-03 surface-to-air guided missiles, which will be stored in ammunition facilities on the base.
Japan has been ramping up the construction of military bases in Okinawa, in order to address security concerns. This latest garrison is part of a larger effort to defend Japanese territory and protect its citizens.
0. “Japan moves missile capable troops into remote island base as regional tensions rise” News8000.com – WKBT, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.news8000.com/news/national-world/japan-moves-missile-capable-troops-into-remote-island-base-as-regional-tensions-rise/article_ce4ad6e6-3bf0-5af2-8d69-f0a6fc1f1aae.html
1. “Japan sends missile units to southwestern island to face China threat” Kyodo News Plus, 16 Mar. 2023, https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/03/438da74ba751-japan-sends-missile-units-to-southwestern-island-to-face-china-threat.html
2. “Bomb shelters on Japan's southern islands make sense, experts say, in case China attacks” Stars and Stripes, 10 Mar. 2023, https://www.stripes.com/theaters/asia_pacific/2023-03-09/okinawa-bomb-shelters-china-conflict-9444532.html
3. “World News | Amid Security Concerns, Japan Deploys Troops on Remote Islands Near China, Taiwan” LatestLY, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.latestly.com/agency-news/world-news-amid-security-concerns-japan-deploys-troops-on-remote-islands-near-china-taiwan-4962489.html
4. “Ammunition Brought into New GSDF Camp on Ishigaki Island” Nippon.com, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.nippon.com/en/news/yjj2023031800262/ammunition-brought-into-new-gsdf-camp-on-ishigaki-island.html