Where to Find MRE Meals Near Me?
Finding the best meals ready to eat (MREs) near you can be a daunting task. With so many brands, prices, and quality considerations, it's important to know where to look and what to keep in mind when shopping for MREs. In this article, we'll discuss different sources of MREs and how to make sure you're getting top-notch meals for your money.
What Are MREs?
MRE stands for Meal Ready to Eat. They are self-contained, durable packets that contain a variety of foods such as entrées, side dishes, snacks, desserts, and drinks. MREs are designed to provide a complete meal with adequate calories and nutrition for someone who is on the go or in an emergency situation. The MREs are lightweight, shelf-stable, require no refrigeration and have a long shelf life making them perfect for camping trips, military operations, disaster relief, and other situations where access to regular meals may be limited.
Sources of MREs
When looking for MREs, there are several sources available:
- Military Surplus Stores: These stores typically carry a good selection of MREs at competitive prices. However, the availability of the MREs varies from store to store and they may not always have the latest versions. Additionally, since these stores get their supplies from the military, some of the types of MREs may be unfamiliar.
- Online Retailers: Online retailers tend to offer the widest selection of MREs and often at lower prices than physical stores. Additionally, online retailers often have detailed descriptions about the different types of MREs and tips on how to select the best one for your needs. Many online retailers also offer free shipping.
- Local Grocery Stores: Some local grocery stores may stock MREs which can be convenient if you need them quickly and don't want to wait for delivery. However, the selection may be more limited than through other sources.
Things to Consider When Buying MREs
When shopping for MREs, there are several things to consider:
- Type: MREs come in a variety of types, including vegetarian, gluten-free, and low sodium options. Make sure you select the type that meets your needs.
- Calories: Pay attention to the number of calories per serving. A typical MRE contains around 1000-2000 calories, but some may contain more or less depending on the type.
- Shelf Life: Most MREs have a shelf life of up to five years, though some may last longer. Check the expiration date before purchasing.
- Taste: Since MREs are designed to be eaten in emergency situations, they are usually not as tasty as regular meals. Try to find reviews to get an idea of the taste before buying.
Where to Buy MREs Near You
Now that you know what to look for, here are a few places you can find MREs near you:
Military Surplus Stores
You can find MREs in military surplus stores such as Army Navy Surplus, Military Outfitters, and G.I. Joe Surplus. These stores typically have a wide selection of MREs at competitive prices.
Online retailers such as Amazon and eBay offer a wide selection of MREs at competitive prices. Additionally, many online retailers offer free shipping, so you don't have to worry about paying extra for shipping costs.
Some grocery stores may stock MREs, so check with your local store to see if they have any available. However, the selection may be more limited than through other sources.
Finding MREs near you doesn't have to be hard. By knowing where to look and what to look for, you can make sure you get high-quality meals for your money.